Thursday, January 10, 2008

Nicely Done

Bill Richardson officially dropped out of the presidential race today as had been widely rumored. He gave an excellent speech, ending on this note:
You know, running for president brings out the best in everyone who graces the stage. And I've learned a lot from the other candidates running. They have all brought great talents and abilities to the campaign.
  • Senator Biden, his passion and intellect are remarkable.
  • Senator Dodd is the epitome of selfless dedication to public service in the Democratic Party.
  • Senator Edwards is a singular voice for the most downtrodden and forgotten among us.
  • Senator Obama is a bright light of hope and optimism at a time of great national unease, yet he is also grounded in thoughtful wisdom beyond his years.
  • Senator Clinton's poise in the face of adversity is matched only by her lifetime of achievement and deep understanding of the challenges we face.
  • Representative Kucinich is a man of great decency and dedication who will faithfully soldier on, no matter how great the odds.
  • And all of us in the Democratic Party owe Senator Mike Gravel our appreciation for his brave leadership during the national turmoil of Vietnam.

I am honored to have shared the stage with each of those Democrats. And I'm enormously grateful to all of my supporters who, despite so many other good candidates, went our way.

Now that my time in this national campaign has come to an end, I would urge those who supported my candidacy to take a long and thoughtful look at the remaining Democrats. They're all strong contenders who each in their own way would bring desperately needed change to our country.

All I ask is that you make your own independent choice, with the same care and dedication to this country that you honored me during this campaign.

At this time I will not endorse any candidate. And all I ask of the candidates is that they do not resort to personal attacks to win the nomination.


Bowing out on a very nice grace note. Now get your butt back to New Mexico and pick up that Senate seat!

No comments: